Best Spread???

Go down

Best Spread???

Post  warbs on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 am

a little while a go a discussion was held after a tuesday night session, "What makes an awesome arvo tea?

so boys and girls what must be included/ excluded in the finest afternoon tea spread?

my personal favourites are a fruit platter and cinnamon donuts,

cant stand tee vee snacks!!!!!!!!

any thoughts,
warbs

warbs

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/warbs_1987

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Spread???

Post  Thommo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 am

A definate favorite with the opposition was big Dean Munyards bag of sugared jubes, personally found them a tad sour.

Thommo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am

Good: LOLLIES Very Happy Biscuits Surprised Cake Smile
Bad: Sandwiches pale

Mitch Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griffo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 am

I remember a few years back when i was playing for Manifold Heights & we played my now adopted club East in a 2 dayer & on the 1st week KFC chicken was dished up & stupid me even though i was half way through a spell & knew i had the 1st over after break gorged myself on as much chicken as i could possibly stuff down my throat, hence after break i could barely run in to bowl & had terrible stomach cramps which soon had me taken out of the attack not to bowl again for the game.
I have a sneaking suspician that the KFC was a ploy to do exactly what it did ot me to the whole fielding side because the following week when East were batting there were fruit platters, healthy sango's & no greasy KFC chicken to be seen.

My conclusion is that KFC is good if your a bowler & the team is batting but disasterous in any other situation, especially when you have a good 3-4 pieces.

If anybody can remember when KFC was served for afternoon tea i'd be interesed to know who provided it & whether there was any malace behind it.

Griffo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 am

Spoken like a true sweet toothed youngster Mitch. Personally, I can never get enough sandwiches, little red franks, chicken nuggets and some fruit. Although your sugary wishlist reminds me of an afternoon tea at Lara when me and Jamie Marshall ate an entire sponge cake each!!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punchy on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:45 am

Ben spencer provided kfc most weeks that year from my memory griffo. Being a portly fellow i over endulged more than once my self. It didn't effect my bowling though as to bowl at mt pace you don't really need any sort of fluent run in. As for me, batting in the lower order or tail you do get the chance to endulge at times and its all about the right combo. A few snadwiches, something hot and something sweet to finnish off all washed down with a few glasses of cordy. i cant wait for my first arvo tea back now

punchy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  waco on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:43 pm

Party pies and party sausage rolls
Tim tams
Mini pizzas
Snakes, jellybabies, etc
Scones (with jam and cream, of course)
Boston bun
Chicken nuggets
Mini sandwiches
Watermelon and other watery fruits if it's a hot day

As a general rule, anything that tastes good and is in or can be cut into relatively small servings. A huge wedge of cake with cream in the middle, for example, while tempting, is a bit unwieldy for arvo tea. I'm not a huge fan of pizza shapes and the like either, and I know there are a few other players who have been quite vocal in their dislike of pizza shapes Wink

waco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chop on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:17 pm

What's an arvo tea without potato gems?
More affectionately known as 'poor man's nuggets'.
But don't you worry, when crickets back on the top ground at East and old Chop Chop isn't playing and bringing 'poor man's' down for arvo tea, the punters will notice and it will be riot city!!

Chop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:43 am

I showed a lack of judgement and experience in round one this year. There was a half decent spread, but I thought there was plenty for everyone so I grabbed a party pie to start with. Of course it was too hot, but not wanting to let it beat me I sat there blowing on it, and slowly nibbling on the cooled bits, cursing myself every time someone took something nice that i had been eyeing off to eat next. By the time i finished the 400 degrees pie, the only thing left was some very ordinary biscuits.

I learnt two things that day:
1. Don't be afraid to chuck a party pie thats too hot under your chair, or even shove it behind an honour board, if your playing away.
2. Don't bring ordinary biscuits, because you may end up having to eat them.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ricey on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 am

some varied and amusing stories there boys. i may again be biased but when jenny d brings down the 'little boys' people seem to attack them ferocity. its then that i subtly make it known to the umpire (if we have one) that they came from me/my family and i can be sure that on more than one occasion this has helped me either with a close lbw decision whether i be batting or bowling. knucks and cogs were always very keen on them.
i too enjoy a sandwhich that contains decent filling. jerome and his chick advacado go down well. nuggets and fish fingers are good as well.
i too agree with jim, the pie is sometimes the perverbal bananna skin, ive burnt my tongue only once from munching in too quick.
warby im starting to think there is many a topic that u intend to discuss this year. i look forward to the next

ricey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:58 am

One of the more unusual afternoon teas of my career was a game at Geelong West fourths who played where Manifold Heights turf ground now is. There was no access to any buildings, but as that is not so unusual in the lower grades, I assumed we would have a nice spread on the bonnett of some cars under the pine trees.
How wrong I was.
With my stomach rumbling, I kept an eye on the West players to produce some food. Instead, they went to the back fence of a nearby house, opened a gate that I hadn't noticed and told us to follow. We entered the backyard and to our amazement, all 22 players were ushered into a little weatherboard house. As we filed through the kitchen into the lounge room, there was a little old lady preparing one of the best spreads I'd ever laid eyes on. Scones with jam and cream, sponge cakes, sandwiches, biscuits e.t.c. covered the kitchen table and the coffee table in the lounge. We made ourselves at home on the old lounge suite and enjoyed what would still have to rank as my most relaxing arvo tea ever.
Ravi obviously felt as relaxed as I did, plundering his maiden century after tea, prompting that now infamous phone call to Florida to inform his grandparents of his run feast. I'd like to think he also mentioned that he couldn't have done it without the help of a little old lady from Geelong West.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Best spread

Post  Ravi on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:14 am

Yes, that was a fantastic day. I seem to remember that when we went into the house that the husband was sitting in the lounge room watching the races and having his afternoon cuppa. Geelong West was also the ground where they had a fake, digital-like scoreboard - you had to move about these little bits of plastic to show the numbers - you always wanted the score to remain 88 !!!
One item left off the best spread list was Slopper's chicken and avocado sandwiches during the 2003/04 season. Most of the guys who played seconds got to sample the delights of these sangers, they were absolute gold ... when he played in the thirds the next season Jack and I made sure he bought these for arvos.

Ravi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobbybrierley on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:13 pm

well, it took me a while to actually get used to bringing your own afternoon tea to the game as thats not the format at Hyde cc, we pay a nice litle old lady to come in and put a spread on for us. maybe that same women from geelong west Jim. I have to say (especially as i stayed with them) that Ben Scannells double chock chip muffins were my favourite, however loading too much into them often proved difficult when facing many overs in the geelong heat, that being in the field cos i definately didn't manage to face many overs with the bat!! other than those my famous chicken wing sangers also went down a storm especially with Fize!

bobbybrierley

View user profile http://www.hydecc.play-cricket.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brades on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:40 am

Worst spread ever was when i captained the 6ths in 96/97. beacause of anomaly with the draw we had to play Grovedale at Hamlyn Heights. Waking up with a blistering hangover (which was the style at the time) i forgot that it was our home game, as did the rest of the team. About 45 minutes before break i realised that we had no food. I gave Ghost (not sure why he wasnt playing, maybe a turf washout) all my night club change from the night before to go get some grub. He came back with 2 packs of Marie biscuits and some shapes. We rustled up some cordial from somewhere and that was our smoko.
on the plus side we won the game. Scott Eddy (who i would also put in my most entertaining cricketers) smashed about 160 including one of the biggest hits i've seen in all cricket and a young Punchy Totton announced himself as bowler taking a 5 for, only initially coming on for one over so the bowlers could change ends.

Brades

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  punchy on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Remember that game well spook and yes it was a very ord arvo tea. My 1st 5 for in seniors, there hasn't been many since. I can also testify to the fact that most of our team turned up feeling worse for wear most if not every week. Never seemed to effect performance though as we were a very succesful 6ths team for a few years there. Didn't gommy get sent off when he was umpiring that game too?

punchy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down