What a waste of talent!!!!!

Go down

What a waste of talent!!!!!

Post  warbs on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:12 pm

Have you played with, coached or watched a player at a junior level with EBCC,that has just been so dominant or gifted but never gave a toss and didn't fulfill expectations or they just simply under-achieved?

I remember playing alongside Brad Edwards one year in U/17's (circa 2002), he was a player quite similar to Tony Heazlewood with his ability to time the ball, and when he hit it, it stayed hit! Then after junior's "bagga" seemed to fall off the face of the planet! played a season of footy with the Belmont Lions (what is he jack? stupid?), What a waste of cricketing talent!!! Sad

warbs

warbs

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/warbs_1987

Back to top Go down

Re: What a waste of talent!!!!!

Post  Jermone on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:53 pm

you leave Suitcases alone, one day when you are in C Block he might keep the savages off you. I think the player that has got the most talent and is under achieving is possibly Jack Caulfield what has he ever done for the club, personllay i think he is overrated and over the hill he is playing thirds for gods sake.

Jermone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ricey on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm

while i appreciate what ur saying there tim, one must remember that senior cricket is not for everyone. brad was a gifted junior player but it takes a little bit more to succeed at senior level. some people enjoy a day at the beach or on the punt then standing at deep mid wicket in 40 deg at lara. i think if u asked brad about his cricket career im sure he would say he enjoyed his time and u never know he may play again

ricey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  waco on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:24 am

I could probably name several players like that, Warby, but I'd be a bit hesitant to do so. There are plenty of reasons why someone might not do as well at senior level as you would expect based on their junior career, or not play seniors. Many good junior cricketers are very good athletes, and perform well in multiple sports, meaning at some point they have to choose between sports - especially since nowadays, footy training is (unreasonably, in my opinion) virtually a year-round proposition. Some people have to work on Saturday afternoons, or can't get to training because of work. Others, especially as they reach an age of independance, don't want to commit to something that takes up a whole Saturday. Some move away. But situations change and often they end up coming back. So, I share your frustration that a lot of players who seem like they could be awesome senior cricketers don't end up doing so, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to say they're wasting their talent.

waco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griffo on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:38 am

Looks like you may have hit a bit of raw nerve with this topic Warb's, people are often reluctant to refer to someone as a wasted talent because it may well come back to bite them.

Griffo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  warbs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 am

by no means did i intend to personally attack ones committment to cricket or their personal choices, i respect all points raised by posts prior to this one. Im not trying to drag people through the mud. as it now may seem im doing, its just often i hear blokes say "what happened to such and such?...he was good" and dont get me wrong it's not just juniors im asking about anybody that had talent but for whatever purposes left cricket for another sport, personal reasons, whatever the case may be. I was just trying to create a topic that blokes could sit back and reminisce about good players we have been lucky enough to play with.

Im sorry if i have struck a raw nerve if it must im happy to delete the topic?

warbs

warbs

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/warbs_1987

Back to top Go down

Post  Brades on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 am

Every ones a critic hey Warbs, I admire you for having the guts to get it out there. your all weak get off the fence and get an opinion.
I personally think Scott Eddy is a wasted talent (cricket and footy) doesnt mean i don't love the bloke, and i don't think he would be upset with me for saying he could have done more with his sporting career. He chose indoor soccer. no big deal.

Brades

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:24 am

No need to worry Warbs. A worthy topic.
We've all played with guys who could have been better or played more games if they had the drive. Swede, Josh McCann and Damien Boyle are players that come to mind. It doesn't mean I hold them in any less regard, crickets not for everyone. Cricket just didn't push their buttons. Lets just be happy they had a crack in the first place and represented the mighty lions.
On the other hand, lets look at some positive examples of players with less talent who have enjoyed great success at EBCC.
Gremmy was never the most naturally talented player but he always worked hard and has 5 premierships to show for his efforts. Brades and Jimmy Hay are other examples of players that weren't guns, but have worked hard and joined a select group of people to have captained premiership teams, and who I have the greatest respect for.
Players like that are the reason East has been so strong through all the grades over the years, not just the first eleven like some clubs. They don't get pandered to, and looked after like the firsts do, but they still turn up to training and games every week. They are an integral part of the EBCC fabric.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum