East Belmont Cricket Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Complete Cricketer

5 posters

Go down

The Complete Cricketer Empty The Complete Cricketer

Post  jackfield56 Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:51 am

I would like to introduce a topic which should cause plenty of conjecture and also provide us with a laugh. Several years ago (1992/93 after we had won a 1sts premiership ) after a junior presentation night at the old clubrooms, Leigh Hooley, Mark Hayes, Chris Duff and I (all members of the premiership team) decided that we had not celebrated enough and proceeded to have several ales until the wee hours of the morning. At some stage during the morning a suggestion was made ( from memory by Duffy) that we do a rating of the premiership players on their individual attributes, strengths and weaknesses,and see who was the most complete all round cricketer. I can recall that we had 10 rating categories and we actually wrote down the ratings and results. I can recall that Peter Smith (the premiership coach and a very high profile GCA player) was the winner and that Ian Barrot ( a bit of a space cadet fast bowler) and Duffy (lazy, front running, hard hitting top order batsman) rated quite poorly. I can not recall the precise categories but they went something along the lines of the following:

1. Ability (based on pure cricketing ability)
2. Attitude (on match day, training, and to team mates on and off the field)
3. Temperament (ability to handle pressure and maintain a cool head in both match day, training and off field situations)
4.Team orientation (willingness to be a team man in both on-field and off-field situations e.g.umpiring,scoring etc.)
5.Sledging ability (self explanatory)
6.Ability to get on with opponents (does he foster a good rapport between teams and is he respected by opponents)
7.Attire (does he look the part and wear the appropriate EBCC gear on and off the field)
8.Training (attitude to and attendance at training)
9.Social performance (attendance after training and games,club functions and other EBCC team's games)
10.Afternoon tea (may be a little difficult to determine in some cases but based on quality etc.)

The ratings were done on a scale of 1-10 (say 6 for average,10 for excellent and 1-2 for poor). It is probably appropriate that guys rate their own recent team mates only. Please be objective and provide a few comments to back up your ratings and hopefully we can determine the most complete cricketer at East Belmont.Feel free to re-rate someone if you consider their rating unfair.

I will kick off the ratings with an appraisal of my team mate and supposed lookalike (only in cricket gear) Jason Peoples:

1. Ability - 10 (One of the most dominant players in the 3rds comp,an absolute matchwinner)
2.Attitude - 7 (Pretty good attitude to most things cricket)
3.Temperament - 6 (Good attitude to batting as he just gets on with it despite some pathetic and snide (marlin !) sledging from opposition. Can get a bit shitty when bowling or when being taken off or moved in the field, or when given what he perceives to be too much advice at training or when bowling (especially from me)
4.Team Orientation - 7 (Good all round team man although could improve on field talk and change the scoreboard more on the limited occasions that he is not batting in the middle)
5.Sledging - 6 (Not really a big sledger in the Totts and Jack category but is prepared to get involved to back up his team mates when required)
6.Ability to get on with opposition - 7 (Is a hell of a nice guy and very easy to get on with, but seems to rub up some opposition bowlers the wrong way with his aggressive style of batting. Is very well respected for his ability by the opposition.
7.Attire - 7 (Is always well decked out in the EBCC gear and looks the part on matchday.Some of the caps worn to training are unimpressive and have effected his rating. Get an EBCC baseball style cap faggot !)
8.Training - 6 (Has a red hot go on the nights that he is there but attendance is usually a once a week thing due to family circumstances)
9.Social performance - 8 ( Always around the club after training and match days and has a red hot crack at the bar although could drink more beer before getting on the Jimmys. Would spend even more time at EBCC if Emily would allow it )
10.Afternoon tea - 7 (The thirds spread is always good and Emily usually provides good stuff as she helps dish it out most weeks)

Total rating - 71 (An impressive tally first up and will probably be right up there with the best if we are realistic)

Good luck with the ratings guys, it takes a bit of time and thought to complete them.

jackfield56

Back to top Go down

The Complete Cricketer Empty Re: The Complete Cricketer

Post  Admin Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Righto, I'll do Gremmy.
1 Ability. 7 points. Nice side on bowling action, generally fairly correct with the bat. Gets the most out of his ability.
2 Attitude. 7 points. Definitely got the clubs best interests at heart. Gets a bit narky at times. Doesn't always rate team mates as highly as he should.
3 Temperament. 6 points. Generally a pretty good temperament. Can whinge a bit when things aren't going his or the teams way. Doesn't handle selection issues well at times.
4 Team Orientation. 7 points. Always willing to do his bit. Can put his personal figures ahead of the team score at times.
5 Sledging. 5 points. Likes to sledge, but that doesn't neccesarily mean he's good at it.
6 Gets on with/ respected by opponents. 7 points. Hard to say. Probably a well known player throughout GCA thirds sides. Always willing to chat and be friendly with the opposition.
7 Attire. 9 points. Always happy to get around in club gear. particularly when watching a first XI one dayer on a Sunday or something similar, not just to and from his own game.
8 Training. 7 points. Regular at training, usually works up a sweat when bowling, gives the batsmen a good hit. Doesn't get in the nets and just slog, works on his batting. Renowned for bowling fast after it gets dark though.
9. 8 points. Puts a lot of money over the bar, happy to get on the turps with the boys.
10. 7 points. Not sure on this one, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Total 69 points. Sounds about right. Perhaps a bit higher, and closer to Peeps, than I would have thought, but its not just about talent.

Edit: Just noticed Jacks recent team mates rule, sorry.

Admin
Admin

https://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ricey Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:23 pm

right then ill have a crack. nobby is under the microscope
ability- 9- can do it all really, fine middle order bat, off and leg spin and now the ian harveys. generally a good fielder!
attitude-8 - comes ready to play, always a good trainer when playing turf and is willing to help out his teammates to do the extra
temprement -8 - yeah has really mellowed out as a cricketer after a spell on the hard wicket. has played some really crunch innings when everything was getting thrown at him
team orientation- 7 - pretty good, did a stint of scoring on saturday which ive never seen before but since his time on the hard wicket realises what has to be done when playing there
sledging - 7- decent sledger, usually having a telling remark from the cordon which he either directs straight to the batsman or makes it public and lets the rest of us now by telling mid on
gets on with/respected by opponents - 9- everyone loves nob and he has a good respect around town having played alot of 1's. best mate with tony brown from leopold
club gear - 7 - love his milo gear, but also gets about in a east jacket / short from time to time outside matchdays
training - 7- maybe could have got 8. has been doing the hard yards for a lot of years now, but is taking it easy in this latest comeback. always looking to work u when bowling and although he tries to smash me is a respector of training bowling
social - 7 - not a huge tues / thurs performer but when he is up for a sat nite session on the tiles u can lock him in for about 10 bourbon cans. some sessions after east back at the manor have been legendary. this is because of the 'tiles'. always at social functions and having a crack
afternoon tea -7- has been known to grab some tim tams from safeway on route to east but since the oven has been on has usually brought something hot. his lovely wife kate deserves some credit here as well

well nob has finished with a 76 and justified in my eyes. he has been a great player over a lot of years. mcmahon medal winner along with several prem's. could have done a bit more side coaching but has worked well with the boys in the lower grades.
will take some beating

ricey

Back to top Go down

Post  totts Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 am

if any of you blokes would like a real evaluation of your talents done i am happy to help out. i do my best work on saturday nights say about 10 pm onwards! unlike jack i have more than 10 points to go thru and will probably include things outside of cricket! so it may take some time and a thick skin is required at all times on your behalf. if anyone would like a reference of my work please ask james diery. i evaluated his talents a few years ago and i believe he has come out not only a better cricketer but also a better man for it! cost is free of charge besides your shout when the pots are empty.

totts

Back to top Go down

Post  Nob Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:36 am

Having witnessed and been on the the receiving end of many of Little Chrissy's sprays over the years, i urge all young cricketers to exercise caution before accepting his seemingly attractive offer of a free and honest, bourbon flavoured assessment.
Jack, i'd love to post an assessment of one of Easts finests. However, i'll need a good couple of hours to sort through your never ending list of criteria... perhaps early next week, as i'm far too busy with playing solitair and reading the Herald Sun today. I'm just not sure who to do. Any suggestions out there? Brades, Big Jim, Tim Warblington...?

Nob

Back to top Go down

Post  ricey Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:49 am

having been compared up there when playing 1s to some pretty impressive cricketers i can say that chris is very honest. it took many years to remove that stigma. we all thought at the time that it was better when chris was living in the uk....
nob id like to know more about m dumsney

ricey

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:55 am

M.Dumsney was unavailable for the 1986/87 fourth XI premiership photo. Subsequently, the club decided to take a seperate photo of him sitting cross legged on the floor. They then stuck the cut out photo of him onto the actual premiership photo, to create the illusion that he was in fact in the photo. It's quite brilliant. Next time you're down at the clubrooms, check it out.

Admin
Admin

https://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum