East Belmont Cricket Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Favourite EBCC player to watch?

3 posters

Go down

Your Favourite EBCC player to watch? Empty Your Favourite EBCC player to watch?

Post  warbs Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:47 am

Often conversations strike up around the club as to "Who is the best EBCC player to watch?"

My personal favourites, remembering my time at EBCC is relatively short compared to others, must be Mr. Tony Heazlewood. For a bloke that is "Mr. Casual" he just seems to be able to time the ball so well from the first ball. I seem to think everytime i've watched "Suitcases" bat i've commented that "Only Tony will get himself out today!", and on most occasions this tends to be the truth. A close second is the "Iceman" Mark Hanley, for his ability to pick gaps all over the ground. As for pure entertainment purposes, Luke Teal geek on his day (in particular a semi-final ( Question ) at Grovedale), could take apart a bowling attack in seconds.

Im interested to read your views as to "the best EBCC player to watch".

warbs

warbs

http://www.myspace.com/warbs_1987

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite EBCC player to watch? Empty Re: Your Favourite EBCC player to watch?

Post  waco Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Top question Warby. I have a few in mind, but for now I'll throw out the name Gary Foss - in full flight he was awesome. Like Tony Heazlewood, he hardly seemed to hit the ball and yet it would go to or over the boundary. The 153 not out he made in 30 overs in a one-day knockout game against Lara at East would probably be the best innings I've seen.

waco

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite EBCC player to watch? Empty Re: Your Favourite EBCC player to watch?

Post  Admin Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:14 am

Yeah Fossy's innings that day was something to behold. we were chasing 200 and with rain threatening, Fossy got us home with 20 overs to spare. Hammer opened with him after batting at 11 the day before and made 49 of a 200 run partnership.
Luke Teals inning in the semi was also a highlight.
Other batsmen to watch over the years have been Matt Lineker, not too many could hit good length balls over cover like he did. Dunny wasn't a spectacular shotmaker, but watching him break down the oppositions spirit,particularly in a semi final v North Geelong was as good as innings as you'll see in local cricket. Peeps in full flight is pretty handy to watch as well.
Was also a big fan of big Dean Munyards ability to hit some big tommys.

Admin
Admin

https://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  waco Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Andrew McMahon was also fun to watch, especially the 100 not out he made in the semi against Quicky's North side in 94-95 (your first year of 1's, Jim?)

Joe Fox and Corey Povey have gone on some of the biggest blitzes I've seen. In particular, when we played Torquay in the 6ths at Birregurra (?) and made over 300 off the 40 overs; Corey made over 70 which is a pretty good effort when 50-retirement is in force, and other batsmen are doing well, meaning you don't have that many overs when you come back in, and Joe, from recollection, took about 34 off one over. Apparently Corey once made 200 before break in a seconds game for Guild.

I'm also going to buck the trend and nominate some bowlers. The Wilsons were a demolition duo; no batsman withstood the punishment for long. The slips and Dunny were fed catches continually and sides would get run through. Quicky is someone I've always liked to watch bowl, even when he was at North; a smoother delivery than anyone else I've seen. I also like watching Gremmy pick batsmen apart; you can see that he's always working to a plan and usually executes it well.

waco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down