East Belmont Cricket Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite east players' bowling actions?

+2
warbs
waco
6 posters

Go down

Favourite east players' bowling actions? Empty Favourite east players' bowling actions?

Post  waco Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:36 am

Every so often you see bowlers who seem to deliver the ball more smoothly and with less apparent effort than most, checking off all points in the textbook.

For me, at east, the guys who come to mind are Quicky and Warby. Even when he played for North and was getting our blokes out, Quicky was fun to watch. Warby is someone i've actually used as an example to kids at hardwicket training of how to approach the crease in a controlled, steady manner so that you maintain balance and power at the end rather than sprinting in and having to slow yourself down to bowl (something i've always had problems with but am hopefully fixing now).

what do you blokes think?

waco

Back to top Go down

Favourite east players' bowling actions? Empty Re: Favourite east players' bowling actions?

Post  warbs Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:16 pm

i think im on a hard-on waco Very Happy , for my name to be put alongside a GCA legend and a top EBCC clubman is slightly embarrassing, but thank you. If blokes are looking to improve or adjust their run-ins go speak to Hummer or obviously quicky, or big jim, these blokes have helped me alot since i began seniors at the den.

Now hopefully i can get wickets again this week and we will all be happy.

go lions, warbs

warbs

http://www.myspace.com/warbs_1987

Back to top Go down

Favourite east players' bowling actions? Empty Re: Favourite east players' bowling actions?

Post  Admin Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:11 am

Great work Waco. I agree with your assesments of Quicky and Warbs, both nice actions.

The thing about bowling actions though is that they have to come naturally. Sure you can tweak things here or there, but people have to be comfortable with their own action. Once a junior player reaches the age of about 16, they pretty much have the action they're always gonna have. Some slight adjustments may be made here or there, but basically they have to work with what they've got.

Look at Nath Warren or Leigh Allan. Both have actions that wouldn't be called classical, but still get the job done.

But by all means, for someone to model your action on, I'd reccomend Quicky every time. And you're right about a nice smooth run up, that is something that can be worked on, regardless of your actual action.

Admin
Admin

https://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nob Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:37 am

Leigh 'Trapper' Finch's action and run-up were slightly abnormal, but still stealth-like and dangerously potent. As perfect as a Fremantle sun-set...or a pineapple cruiser after a dozen JB cans.

Nob

Back to top Go down

Favourite east players' bowling actions? Empty Favourite East Players bowling actions

Post  jackfield56 Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 am

I would have to say that Big Jim's 'yocky' delivery is one of the best that I have seen. Not only is it very humorous to watch but it takes a lot of skill to actually bowl off the wrong foot. And Josh Willett had a bowling action on a par with Finchy as he bowled with what appeared to be a withered,frozen arm. I would personally rate Finchy and Josh as the 2 worst bowlers I have seen over a long period of time at East Belmont.

jackfield56

Back to top Go down

Post  ricey Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:40 am

i believe at the point when young stevey maxwell jumps to the wicket he has a terrific action for natural outswing. his run-up should be tweaked a little to generate a bit more pace but he has the makings of a fine senior bowler for some time

ricey

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:18 am

You spelt it wrong, it's P E R R Y , not Maxwell.

Admin
Admin

https://ebcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down